Bill Dacey is a Principal Consultant with Stosch, Dacey & George, P.C., where he concentrates on civil damage claims, civil and criminal frauds, and business valuations for domestic, estate, gift and business purposes.
Mr. Dacey has been a forensic accountant since 1984, when he joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation as a Special Agent. At the FBI, he specialized in white-collar crime investigations including bank failure, bank fraud and embezzlement, violations of the U.S. Bankruptcy Act, mail and wire fraud, Department of Defense Procurement fraud, public corruption, and narcotics.
Later as a Special Agent Accountant with the Virginia State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Mr. Dacey specialized in the investigation of frauds involving the construction industry, the second mortgage market, the Virginia Securities Act, plus misappropriations and misapplications in many types of businesses and governmental organizations.
Before joining the FBI, Mr. Dacey practiced as an auditor with the Richmond office of PricewaterhouseCoopers(Coopers & Lybrand), CPAs. There he planned, conducted, and supervised audits of manufacturing, governmental, and public utility clients.
After graduating from Hampden-Sydney College in 1972 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Latin, Mr. Dacey spent eight years as a helicopter pilot in the United States Marine Corps which included assisting in the evacuation of Saigon, Republic of Vietnam.
Mr. Dacey has a Master of Public Administration with a concentration in Finance and a Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Accounting from Virginia Commonwealth University. He is a licensed Certified Public Accountant, a Certified Valuation Analyst, a Certified Fraud Examiner, a former Registered Broker/Dealer Representative and a former Registered Investment Advisor Representative and has been a guest lecturer at VCU in Business Law providing instruction on white-collar crime and computer fraud.
Mr. Dacey has qualified as an expert witness before Federal District and Virginia State courts.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Valuation Analyst
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Former Registered Broker/Dealer Representative (NASD Series 7)
- Former Registered Investment Advisor Representative (NASD Series 66)
- Licensed by Commonwealth of Virginia to sell annuities, life and health insurance
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Institute of Business Appraisers
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants - Former Member Litigation Services Committee
- Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI
- University of Richmond - 1998, Basic and Family Mediation, VA Legal System, Screening for Domestic Violence
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - 1996, Certificate of Educational Achievement in Business Valuation
- Institute of Business Appraisers - 1994, Valuation of Closely Held Businesses
- DEA/IRS - Asset Tracing and Forfeiture School
- FBI Schools - Bank Failure, Defense Procurement Fraud, Public Corruption, Agent Training
- Master of Public Administration - 1981, Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Accounting - 1982, Virginia Commonwealth University
- BA, Latin, Hampden-Sydney College - 1972
- United States Marine Corps, Helicopter Pilot, Major
- Auditor, PricewaterhouseCoopers (Coopers & Lybrand)
- Special Agent and Relief Supervisor, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Special Agent Accountant, Bureau of Criminal Investigations, Virginia State Police
- Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Performance Award - 1988
- Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Incentive Award for Bankruptcy Fraud Investigation - 1987
- Phi Kappa Phi - National Honor Fraternity
- Beta Alpha Psi - National Accounting Honor Fraternity
- Eta Sigma Phi - National Classics Honor Fraternity
- Medical Practices
- Dental Practices
- Legal Practices
- Biotechnology Company
- Direct Mail Advertising and Catalog Distributing Companies
- Computer Integrated System Design Company
- Real Estate Limited Partnerships
- General and Family Limited Partnerships
- Analysis of Representations Made by Seller to Buyer Regarding Financial Statements Relied upon in Business Acquisition
- Analysis of Lost Earnings Capacity and Medical Costs Claimed as a Result of Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Examination of Internal and External Frauds Involving Banks, Construction Companies, etc.
- Analysis of Damages from Employment Discrimination and Wrongful Termination
- Investigations Involving Bankruptcy and Bankruptcy Fraud
- Investigations of Violations of the Virginia Securities Act
- Analysis of Transactions Used to Determine Equitable Distribution of Marital Property
- Defense Expert in Federal and State Money Laundering Prosecutions
- Financial Investigations Involving Arson and Other Types of Property and Casualty Insurance Claims
- Calculation of Lost Profits in Connection with Damage Claims
- 07/08 - 71st Annual Conference, National Conference of Juvenile and Family Court Judges - Topics Business Valuation and Support Calculations
- 9/06 - American Payroll Association - Topic: Business Valuations Methods and Techniques
- 07/01 - Assoc. of Trial Lawyers of America, Annual Convention, Montreal - Topic: Business Valuation Methods and Techniques
- 10/00 - Virginia Trial Lawyers Association - Topic: Financial Damages in Business Tort Cases
- 01/00 - American Society for Industrial Security - Topic: Fraud Investigations
- 11/98 - Va. Tech Acct. and Auditing Conf. - Topic: The Accountant as Expert Witness, Mediator and Trends in Litigation Services
- 11/98 - The Mediation Center of Virginia - Topic: Use of Experts in Mediation
- 05/98 - International Association of Special Investigation Units - Topic: Forensic Accounting in Insurance Fraud
- 11/97 - VA CLE 16th Annual Family Law Seminar - Topic: Valuing a Small Business
- 09/97 - CPA/LAW Forum of Richmond - Topic: Protecting Against White Collar Crime
- 07/97 - American Payroll Association - Topic: Embezzlement, Computer Fraud and White Collar Crime
- 11/95 - VA Tech Accounting and Auditing Conference - Topic: Litigation Consulting and Expert Witness Testimony
- 08/95 - CPA/LAW Forum of Richmond - Topic: Financial Experts in Legal Disputes
- 02/95 - National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel - Topic: Tier I and Tier II Retirement
- 11/94 - The CPA Club of Richmond - Topic: Expert Witness Testimony
- 09/94 - Virginia Society of CPA's - Topic: Litigation Consulting and Expert Witness Testimony
- 12/93 - Henrico East Business Council - Topic: Internal Fraud
- 09/93 - Institute of Management Accountants - Topic: Indicators of Internal Fraud
- 09/93 - Virginia State Bar Continuing Legal Education - Topic: Financial Statements of Closely Held Businesses
- 05/93 - Association of Government Accountants - Topic: Government Fraud Investigations
- 03/93 - Seminar for Virginia Department of Corrections Managers - Topic: Fraud and Embezzlement by State Employees
- 92-94 - Guest Lecturer, Accounting, J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
- 90-92 - Guest Lecturer, Business Law, Virginia Commonwealth University - White Collar Crime, Computer Fraud
From 1984 through 1988, Mr. Dacey was a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. During that period, he testified on numerous occasions before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama and in the Grand Jury of that District Court. He also testified in the Circuit Courts of Dekalb and Etowah Counties, Alabama.
From 1989 through 1993, Mr. Dacey was a Special Agent Accountant with the Virginia State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation. During that period, he testified before the Circuit Courts of Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Essex, Henrico, Louisa and Tazewell Counties, as well as in the City of Richmond. Further, he was designated as an agent of special grand juries in the City of Richmond and Chesterfield County. He also testified before the regular grand juries of the various circuit courts.
Mr. Dacey has testified as an expert witness in civil and criminal trials in the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, the Northern District of Illinois, the District of New Jersey; the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts; the Circuit Courts of Albemarle, Amelia, Arlington, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Fairfax, Fauquier, Goochland, Greensville, Hanover, Henrico, Henry, Loudoun, Louisa, Mathews, Mecklenburge, Nottaway, Orange, Pittsylvania, Prince Edward, Pulaski, Southampton and Tazewell Counties, Virginia and the Cities of Alexandria, Fredericksburg, Lynchburg, Newport News, Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach and Waynesboro, Virginia; the Circuit Court for Duval County, Florida; the Circuit Court of Mercer County, West Virginia. He has also testified before panels of the Virginia State Bar, the American Arbitration Association and the National Association of Securities Dealers.